- Jukseoru Pavilion
- 9-3 Seongnae-dong
- Contact Us
- Department of Culture and Public Information of Samcheok City Hall
Tel : 033-570-3224)
Jukseoru Management Office
Tel : 033-570-3670
Jukseoru is believed to have been established at least before 1266, according to Dongangeosajip which states that Lee Seung-hyu climbed the pavilion with Jin Ja-hoo, the steward, and composed a poem in the 7th year of the reign of King Won Jong (1266), although its founder and year of construction remain unknown.
Kim, Hyo-son reconstructed this structure into its original form in the 3rd year of the reign of King Taejong (1403). Since then, Jukseoru has been repaired dozens of times and expanded. It was named Jukseoru because there were bamboo groves to the east of the pavilion and Jukjangsa Temple in the bamboo groves. Some say that it probably got its name from the fact that a performer called Jukjukseonnyeo has a house to the east.
Various signs inscribed in Chinese hang from the rafter of the pavilion. "Jukseoru" and "Gwandong 1-ru" on the front of the pavilion were written by Governor Lee Seong-jo in the 41st year of the reign of King Sukjong. "Jeilgyejeong" was written by Heo Mok in the 3rd year of the reign of King Hyeonjong (1662), and "Haeseonyuhijiso" was written by Governor Lee Gyu-hyeon in the 3rd year of the reign of King Heonjong (1837).
The lower floor of Jookseoru consists of 17 columns, 9 of which were erected on natural stones and the remaining 8 columns stand on stone plinths. The structure has 20 columns and hipped-and-gable roof on the upper floor.
Currently, the pavilion has a total of 26 signboards inscribed with poems, including "Jukseorugi" written by Heo Mok, "Jukseoru Jungsugi" written by Dangseong Hong Baek Ryeon, "Haeseon-yuhi-jiso," and "Jukseoruchaun."
Related information on admission
1. Admission fee: Free
2. Opening hours: 09:00 - 18:00 (summer: from March to October) 09:00 - 17:00 (winter: from November to February)